The first issue was more of a head scratcher than a production problem, but nonetheless it caused me to stop and wonder why.
Obviously it's not exactly normal to see a port-channel identifier listed twice with one of them having an alphabetic character on the end. Digging around on the Internet I finally found a document on Cisco's support community that explained the issue. What I had done was create the port-channel with Gi1/3/45 and Gi2/3/45. Later when the server guys had asked me to add Gi1/4/14 I added it to the port-channel before making the configuration identical. The document's resolution of shutting down the ports and defaulting the configurations and then recreating them did remove the crazy A from my show commands.PAHA-1A-6509E-SW1#show etherchannel 403 summary Flags: D - down P - bundled in port-channel I - stand-alone s - suspended H - Hot-standby (LACP only) R - Layer3 S - Layer2 U - in use N - not in use, no aggregation f - failed to allocate aggregator M - not in use, no aggregation due to minimum links not met m - not in use, port not aggregated due to minimum links not met u - unsuitable for bundling d - default port w - waiting to be aggregated Number of channel-groups in use: 34 Number of aggregators: 35 Group Port-channel Protocol Ports ------+-------------+-----------+----------------------------------------------- 403 Po403(SD) LACP 403 Po403A(SU) LACP Gi1/3/45(P) Gi1/4/14(P) Gi2/3/45(P) Last applied Hash Distribution Algorithm: Fixed
My second issue was that a server connected to a port-channel was disabling one of the NICs saying that it was faulted. Again defaulting the configurations and recreating the port-channel cleared up that issue.
The moral of my story is that even though your configuration may be 100% correct, you may have confused IOS so try starting over.