The first steps to getting a Nexus 1000v installed are actually to get the basic VMWare vSwitch configured and operating.
· ESX is already installed
· vCenter VM is already installed and configured
· vSphere Client is installed on workstation
· VLANs for Nexus Packet and Capture interfaces (can be the same VLAN) are created on the network.
· VLAN for Nexus Management interface is created on the network.
· The ESXi hosts have their ports configured as trunks with the Nexus Packet, Capture and Management VLANs allowed as well as the VLAN used for the ESX hosts’ IP addresses (VMK0).
Configuring ESXi vSwitch
- Open vSphere Client and connect to vCenter.
- Click on the host to configure.
- Click on the configuration tab.
- Click on networking.
- Click on properties.
- Click on add.
- Click on Virtual Machine and then Next
- Give the network a label and a VLAN ID (0 indicates the native vlan). NOTE: This label must be consistent on all hosts for vMotion.